The Fine Arts Collection of the Fondation Gandur pour l’Art features more than five hundreds modern and contemporary works. For the most part this coherent ensemble comprises post-World War II European paintings, making it one of the world’s largest collection of works of that period, after the Musée d'art moderne de la Ville de Paris and the Centre Pompidou.
The abstract paintings are this collection’s centrepiece. The most dynamic of the post-war trends, abstraction is particularly well represented here by the works of artists of the Second School of Paris such as Hans Hartung (1904-1989), Georges Mathieu (1921-2012), Gérard Schneider (1896-1986) and Pierre Soulages (1919), as well as works by artists from Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom and other countries.
The vitality of the Paris post-war art scene was spotlighted by an exhibition mounted first at the Musée Rath in Geneva (2011) and then at the Musée Fabre in Montpellier (2011-12), Les Sujets de l’abstraction. Peinture non-figurative de la Seconde École de Paris (1946-1962), accompanied by a catalogue published by 5 Continents Editions (Milan).
The collection also includes a significant set of works created by the principal founders of CoBrA — Asger Jorn (1914-1973), Karel Appel (1921-2006), Constant (1920-2005) and Corneille (1922-2010). Those works are complemented by the paintings from Belgian, Danish, Dutch, French and Swedish artists who later joined the movement.
Finally, the collection contains a major ensemble of paintings by prominent representatives of the Figuration Narrative current, such as Gilles Aillaud (1928-2005), Valerio Adami (1935), Eduardo Arroyo (1937), Erró (1932), Alain Jacquet (1939-2008), Peter Klasen (1935), Jacques Monory (1924), Hervé Télémaque (1937) and Jan Voss (1936). While breaking with abstraction, the return to the subject and figuration continues to reaffirm the role of painting as a critical instrument challenging representation.